More than 100 years’ retail expertise
The Group’s business commenced trading in Sunderland around the 1890s as a family-owned general home furnishings store. By the 1980s, the business operated from eight stores in the North East of England under the ScS name, specialising in selling upholstered furniture. Following a management buyout in 1993, the business began to expand outside of the North East of England, and focused on establishing ScS as a major UK upholstered furniture retailer operating from larger and more modern stores in out of town retail park locations.
The store expansion programme saw the store estate grow, and by 2007 it had increased to 95 stores supported by nine distribution centres. A number of operational initiatives were also undertaken, including upgrades to business processes, management information and information technology systems. In 2015, ScS Group plc listed on the London Stock Exchange after a successful IPO.
David Knight was appointed Chief Executive Officer in 2002 and Chris Muir was appointed as Chief Financial Officer in April 2016.
See below timeline since this point in 2008:
- Transactional online website launched
- La-Z-Boy, the first third party brand is added to the ScS product range
- Occasional tables, lamps and dining furniture added
- G Plan, the second third party brand is added
- SiSi Italia, the first own brand is added to the ScS range
- Interest free credit offered on all products in every store
- Flooring added to ScS range
- ScS re-branded as the “Sofa Carpet Specialist”
- Endurance, the second own brand is added to the range
- 3 store House of Fraser pilot
- Parker Knoll, the third, third party brand is added to the ScS range
- New website launched to provide enhanced online shopping experience
- 30 House of Fraser Concession stores launched under the House of Fraser “For Living” brand
- ScS Group plc listed on the London Stock Exchange
- ScS opens a new store in Aberdeen on Kittybrewster Retail Park
- Chris Muir is appointed Chief Financial Officer
- Sales director Kevin Royal is appointed Managing Director and HR Director Marie Liston becomes Corporate Services Director